belize is headed to girl scout camp this summer. we are all very excited for her, so we decide to prepare by creating a whole ton of tie dye designs for her journey. we have a backpack on order for her and some tees (we’ll get those stories out as we go) and yesterday, we created a tie dye sheet and tie dye pillow case for her camp bed. at camp, they need a nickname and we are thinking “rainbow” might be hers.tie dying the pillow case seemed pretty straightforward. we decided to do that as a rainbow pattern. we folded the pillow case in half and then gathered the material in an arc from the bottom to the side then tied it with a number of rubber bands (a typical rainbow tie). we then organized the ROYGBIV colors and decided on a sky blue for the leftover areas (it is a rainbow in the sky after all). i’m gonna ask belize if she wants to print the unicorn on there from our unicorn shirt. i really like this rainbow as is, but i think the unicorn would definitely give it a unique personality and make it more her own, but i’ll leave that up to her; it is her pillow case and her camp after all. the fitted sheet we did proved to be much more complicated. first, it is fitted so it doesn’t really stay flat. luckily, it hooked just right over our large folding costco tables we have. belize decided she wanted a rainbow spiral with a few dots on either end. i helped her tie the dots first. these were simple to do, just like creating dots on a t-shirt: gather a bit of the material and put a rubber band around it. we those done, we started to work on the spiral. this part, i had to help quite a bit with as it was difficult for her to easily reach the center of the sheet and turn. for a spiral pattern, you just grab the material where you want the center of the spiral to be and start turning. you end up with a flat disk of spiral pleats. now came the other problem, there were no rubber bands that would fit around this wound up sheet so we had to tie it with waxed polyester thread. belize got all the colors on there and decided to use thickened dye for the dots (we use dye thickened with sodium alginate for detailed areas because it doesn’t run as much as regular dye mixed with water). the next challenge in doing a sheet was where to let the color set. i really don’t like using plastic bags for this because this seems to cause the dye to really run all over and settle in the bottom of the bag which can create a “haze” on that part of the shirt. instead, i use large storage tubs with wire mesh racks in them. it keeps the material damp for the 12 to 24 hours and also keeps the dye from settling on the garment. each tub has enough room for about 8 t-shirts (depending on how they are tied) or, as it turns out, one spiral-tied twin-size fitted sheet. the last trick was how to wash this out. i did this part for her, but couldn’t follow our typical wash-out procedure because of the size of the sheet, so i just mostly threw it in the washing machine and put the thing on an extra rinse. it seemed to work great. belize hasn’t seen her new tie dye bedding set yet, but i’m sure she’ll be as impressed as i am with her creation.